A couple of light-weight papers on HPSG and constraint-based grammars have now been posted to the FTP server. Students from the Modern Syntactic Theories course are asked and encouraged to familiarize themselves with these.
In addition, it would be useful for you to research the following concepts:
- constraint-based vs. rule-based grammar;
- [highly-/strongly-]lexicalized- vs. [weakly-/un]lexicalized- grammars and their relationship with grammaticality judgements;
- derivational vs. non-derivational grammars;
- attribute value matrices;
- feature structures vs. tree structures;
- <phon> and <synsem>.
These will be useful during the classes to come.